DMC on the reaction of fans to their opening act, the Beastie Boys.
Whether your customers are club kids at a concert or cubicle cowboys at a big company, real recognizes real.
Either you understand the problems they want solved or you don’t. Either they relate to and get value from the services you create or they won’t.
Among the greats in music, marketing, business or entrepreneurship there’s no faking it. Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates, Bill Campbell, Larry Ellison- love them or hate them they keep it real. And real recognizes real.(via brycedotvc)
If the post re AWS EBS failure is any indication, this is gonna be a great blog.
As Little’s Law implies, system architects look for the queues in any system and apply technology to reduce the bottlenecks. Fusion-io, and maybe some other vendors in this space (e.g. Oracle) have it right. They understand that it’s not about hardware, rather the secret is in IP that allows systems to read and write directly from the processor to flash in a single pass with no cumbersome, multi-phase commits required in traditional storage, file system and database protocols.
A leading example is Fusion-io’s Virtual Storage Layer (VSL), which is like IBM mainframe MVS (Multiple Virtual Storage) architecture. Essentially this resource creates 2TB blocks of virtual addressable data, meaning you can design terabytes of address space that scale to incredible levels (i.e. address space limitations are blown away). This is achieved with a combination of flash controller architecture and server software that provides multiple virtual address spaces to be mapped onto a log-structured flash memory. This allows the processor to store data ‘synchronously’ to flash – once the write is complete it is guaranteed to be written to persistent flash.
From a software point of view, VSL provides a large virtual resource that enables designers to get rid of 99% of the IOPs. And as the saying goes, “the best I/O is no I/O.” The remaining 1% of I/O will use the traditional high capacity disk storage shared over storage networks within the data center and in the cloud.” —What Storage Folks Do Not Get About Fusion-io - Wikibon
Oh now that is an interesting [sub]control/data split brain idea.